Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Response to "How to say Nothing"

Though the article was indeed dated, I did notice that some of the mistakes listed by Roberts apply to myself. Two that stuck out to me the most were using extra words in sentences where they aren't needed, and going with obvious content in my writings. The first mistake I do often if the piece requires a certain number of words, which was the reason given by Roberts in the article. The second mistake listed in the article that I tend to do, sticking with the obvious, is something that I had never noticed until I read this article. Using the normal responses may make writing the piece easier, but it shows that you didn't invest as much time or thought as you would have, had you picked to write about something original. From this article, I've learned to steer clear of my two usual mistakes, as well as using less padding, such as "In my opinion,", which I tend to use a lot in my papers and reports. The rest of the article was pretty irrelevant to me, due to the period in which it was written.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you were able to find some relevant sections, even though the piece seemed outdated to you. I think it does a very good job of explicitly address many common issues in student writing.
    (by the way, remember that blogs are supposed to be at least 500 words long.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about using extra words in my writing. I do it all the time too. You're right about the article being dated but still being able to notice mistakes that happen in writing today. His essay has definitely helped me steer clear of certain things in my writing also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also use a lot of padding in my writing to make my writing longer, usually in order to meet a requirement for length. I think the piece was very outdated as well but there may have been more relevance than you believe. When I first read the article I didn't think I would get anything out of it but I'm glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also on the same page with your mistakes, I make them too. But not so much on the rest of the article being irrelevant. Even thou it was set on another time frame, the concept was a bit similar, like how we just want to finish the paper and be done with it. I got a lot out of this article, some good, some bad. But I'm glad I read it, to see how writing evolved.

    ReplyDelete